The internet has now taken center stage of most of our daily activities. From entertainment to communication, education and religion, the internet has become an almost inevitable aspect of our daily activities.
But, when used in excess, the internet has the ability to interfere with work, life, relationships, and daily routines.
Internet addiction is a condition that has a lot of negative consequences on those who spend large amounts of time online socializing with friends, playing games, gambling or just surfing the web.
You may have internet addiction without even knowing it. Thus, it is important to know the symptoms so you can take measures to solve the addictions since it has long term negative effects.
Signs And Symptoms of Internet Addiction
Internet addictions may be manifest in many ways. They include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Feeling preoccupied with the internet. (thinking about your previous online activity or anticipating the next time you will go online)
- Feeling a desire to use the internet for increased amounts of time in order to achieve satisfaction with your use of the web. (similar to tolerance that is addressed in substance abuse problems)
- Having a lack of control in efforts to stop using the internet or to cut back use.
- Feeling restless, irritable, depressed or otherwise moody when not using the internet.
- Staying online longer than you originally planned to.
- Jeopardized a job, relationship, educational opportunity or another important opportunity because of the internet.
- Lying to friends, family members or others in an effort to conceal the true amount of time that you spend online or your actual activities while online.
- Using the internet as a way of escaping reality, escaping problems or relieving a negative mood.
Before the signs can be manifest, it goes through stages. How is internet addiction caused?
Causes of Internet Addiction
People become addicted to the internet for a number of different reasons. Most of the time, the urge to compulsive use the internet is the result of a desire to manage unpleasant feeling such as depression, anxiety, stress or loneliness. There are some who also feel social unacceptable in the real world and turn to social media to get a feeling of belonging. In the process, they lose sense of time and physical space, leading to a compulsive use of the internet/internet addiction.
Here are some of the causes:
- Loneliness: Some people try to fill relationship gaps online
- Self-medication for a mental health disorder. Many people use the internet to mask anxiety, depression, or other mental illness.
- Some people have a strong urge to seek for information and the internet readily provides that in humongous volumes.
Internet addiction is a condition which when not given much attention to, can escalate into serious social and psychological issues and stress.
If you enjoyed this …
Kindly comment your views below and do follow Us on Twitter and Instagram @JBKlutse for more.
Please press share right below. It helps more people see it.
To Guest Post or Advertise on our website, kindly call 0245721815.