Ophena is a Swedish company specializing in manufacturing safety stirrups for equestrians. Over the past few years, both amateur and professional riders alike have fallen in love with the magnetic safety stirrups that have found their place between functionality and design elegance.
Ophena started out with only one product, Ophena S. However, in 2022 they already feature three different types of safety stirrups: in addition to the original Ophena S, they also offer Ophena S Pro and Ophena A.
Ophena S and Ophena S Pro are magnetic safety stirrups that have been geared towards showjumpers. While there are magnetic safety stirrups out there by other brands, Ophena has taken the design of their magnetic stirrups one step further.
In addition to featuring a magnetic connection, the stirrups also have the following elements:
- Open design: allows for the rider’s foot to release easier in case of a fall, thus maximizing the safety of the rider.
- Smart Attach™ -system: makes it very easy to attach and detach stirrups from the stirrup leathers, saving your stirrup leathers… and nerves.
- Excellent grip: while both of our magnetic safety stirrups have an excellent grip, it is even better on Ophena S Pro, making it ideal for competitions and cross country, for instance.
The benefits of the magnetic connection are indisputable. In fact, many of Ophena’s reviews say that the magnetic connection has helped the rider’s to keep their leg in the correct position, thus improving their posture and balance. Some have even reported decreased knee and hip pain. Also, one excellent benefit is that thanks to the magnetic connection, there is a decreased chance of losing your stirrup during your ride.
Ophena’s magnetic safety stirrups are suitable especially for showjumping and are even approved by the FEI.
Ophena A was manufactured with the needs of dressage riders in mind. While Ophena’s magnetic safety stirrups have received excellent reviews from users, they have been geared more towards showjumpers, as dressage rules don’t allow magnetic safety stirrups at shows.
Ophena A, however, is a safety stirrup without a magnetic connection. Instead, it features patent-pending technology, The Twister. It’s a silicone piece that closes the outer side, anchoring on two points and releasing in every direction when pressure is applied.
The benefits of Ophena A are unbeatable.
- Improved safety: The Twister allows the rider’s foot to release easier in case of a fall.
- Easy attachment and detachment from stirrup leathers: an easy-to-use system makes it simple to slide your stirrup onto the stirrup leather without removing the leathers from the saddle.
- Integrated dampening: allows for better shock absorption.
Ophena’s magnetic safety stirrups have received over 1300 five-star reviews and glowing recommendations from both amateurs and professional riders. Although Ophena safety stirrups are not the cheapest brand on the market, you get what you pay for: excellent quality, beautiful design, and significantly improved safety.