Nobody is happy when the storage of their mobile device running out. That situation is quite annoying. Not to talk about the internet data as well. Anyway, WhatsApp is also a source of these two problems — internet data running out quickly and storage running out.
This piece is going to show you how to reduce data and storage usage of your WhatsApp messaging app.
This problem is both on Android and iOS mobile devices. But worry not, both are fixed here. We will use the Photos option for the sake of this piece.
Reducing data and storage usage on WhatsApp for iOS devices
- Launch your WhatsApp messaging app.
- Now hit the Settings gear at the lower right corner.
- Go to Data and Storage Usage.
- Now this page has listed the multimedia downloadable on WhatsApp — audio, photos, videos and documents.
- Photos by default is set to be downloaded automatically (Wi-Fi and Cellular). Now you can custom set them how you want it.
- Let’s use Photos; you can set it to automatically download only when your device is connected to Wi-Fi network.
- You can also select Never This will stop downloading automatically.
You can use this same process for the rest of the media files: audio, video, documents. Let’s move to Android devices.
Reducing data and storage usage on WhatsApp for Android phones
- Now for Android phones, open your WhatsApp app.
- Then got Settings.
- Continue to Data and storage usage.
- Now scroll down to Media auto-download.
- Choose When using mobile data. (Remember we are using the Photos option as example.)
- Now uncheck Photos option from the dialog box.
- Repeat this for When connected on Wi-Fiand When Roaming This means your photos will not be downloaded automatically whether you are on a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
Done! Now you wouldn’t need to worry much about your data depleting fast or even your storage getting filled up. Note that you would have to manually download any media you set not to automatically download. The best option I would recommend is the Wi-Fi option. It works better for me.