Switching from an Android phone to an iPhone or vice versa always leaves one question when you are someone who would like to move the same your data to the new phone.
For example, the WhatsApp app on Android can’t be used on iOS due to compatibility issues. This leaves the question “How do I transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone?”
First of all, make sure you regularly back up your chats. Backing up helps you retrieve deleted messages from WhatsApp. You can restore chats if you deleted the Android app itself due to the regular backups.
The incompatibility of Google Backup with iOS devices renders the WhatsApp restore feature useless. Same with iCloud and Android devices.
Officially, there isn’t a way to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone and vice versa but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. There a few ways to circumvent this wall.
Transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone
1. Dr. fone software
Dr. fone is a great app that offers data transfer, recovery, backup, etc. to Android phones and iPhones.
This is how to use dr. fone Restore Social Tool to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone.
Always make sure that you have done a backup of your chats to Google Drive before you embark on this process.
- Download and install the Dr. fone Restore Social Tool.
- Now connect your Android phone and the iPhone to the same computer (the one with the Dr. fone on it).
- On the Android phone, allow USB debugging. The feature can be found in the phone’s developer options.
- After installing, launch and click on “Transfer WhatsApp messages”
- Follow the instructions in the pop-up window in the software.
- A success message will pop up telling you “Your iPhone restore completed”
- All you have to do now is to remove the SIM card in your Android device and insert in the iPhone.
You should be aware that WhatsApp hasn’t sanctioned this method so you bear all the responsibilities if you decide to use it.
It is advisable to read dr. fone’s official guide to perform this task.
2. E-mail Chat
This is a feature on WhatsApp that allows users to e-mail an entire WhatsApp conversation. All your WhatsApp conversations can be saved as drafts.
Here’s how to go about it.
- Jump to WhatsApp settings.
- Go to Chat Settings > Chat History > E-mail Chat.
- Choose the target chat.
- Select with media or attach media if you want to include photos and videos from the chat.
- Just save the email as a draft.
Now, open your email from your new phone and thee you have your chats. You can view the chats on any device as long as you can open your email on it.
The truth about this method is that it doesn’t really transfer your WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone. It just puts the chats on a platform which can be accessed by any device, independent on the operating system. Thus, you can’t really view the chats in the WhatsApp Messenger app.
Remember that as these methods are unofficial and haven’t been approved by either Apple or Google, there could be an adverse effect. Thus, those two companies cannot be held responsible.