Virtual private networks (VPNs) are most widely used to resolve privacy and security issues, but they may also be useful to unblock regional content, such as Netflix.
A VPN is a method of privately connecting to the internet. It is usually done by hiding your real IP address and routing your Internet traffic and data across public networks through a private, securely encrypted tunnel.
VPNs are famous for providing a way to browse the internet without giving away your identity, location, or data. When data is encrypted within the VPN tunnel, it is not possible for ISPs, search engines, marketers, hackers and others to see or track your web activities.
Table of Contents
Why should I use a VPN on my PS4?
A VPN helps encrypt all your data and communication through your PS4 console. Hackers and government can’t track you and your device in this case.
Its also helps you to switch virtual locations to connect your PS4 to gaming servers located in different countries. In this case, the connection routes between you and gaming servers would be shortened. That is to say; there will be a lot of reduction in ping times and overall lag so you can play games much faster to gain a better gaming experience.
Moreover, it enables you to connect your device to gaming servers located in different countries, allowing you to access games that are not released or keeping access to games that are not available.
Connecting Through Your PC
This method demands a Windows PC and a Windows-compatible VPN (you can find one by browsing these VPN reviews. You configure the VPN on the Windows computer and then use an Ethernet cable to share a secure Internet connection to your PS4. Below are the steps to setup the VPN using the PC.
- Begin by setting up a VPN on your Windows PC.
- Connect an Ethernet cable between your PC and your PS4
- Right click the Start button on your PC, and select Settings.
- Click network and Internet.
- Ensure that your VPN is set up and enabled, then select change adapter options.
- Now click Add a VPN connection on this screen to set up a new VPN connection, or you can follow the instructions from your VPN service provider.
- Search for the Ethernet connection that’s associated with your VPN, and right-click it.
- Click Properties.
- Click Sharing, after check the box for ‘allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’.
- Select a private network connection box, choose the Ethernet connection you want to share, and click OK.
- Lastly ensure that your PS4 is connected to the internet by selecting Settings > Network > Test network connection.
Connecting Through Your Mac
This method is the same as Windows but it uses a Mac and a MacOS-compatible VPN. On your Mac, you configure the VPN and then share the link to your PS4 with an Ethernet cable.
- Start by setting up your Mac to connect through a VPN.
- Connect your Mac to PS4 using an Ethernet cable.
- Click the apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, and select system preferences > sharing.
- Click internet sharing
- After select, share your connection from drop down menu, and select your VPN network.
- Click the to computers using drop down menu, and select Ethernet.
- Finally ensure that your PS4 is connected to the internet by selecting settings > network > test network connection.
Connecting Through Your Router
This approach requires no computer. You set the VPN to your router directly instead. Some routers do not, so you must make sure you first have a VPN compatible router.
- Log in to the control panel of your router.
- Use the procedure laid out by your VPN service provider, and set your router up to use the VPN
- Connect your PS4 to the router with either an Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.
- Check that your PS4 is connected to the internet by selecting settings > network > test network connection.