Note that physical therapy is a customized program that helps most individuals suffering from body pain problems or other joint problems return to their prior functioning. It also encourages lifestyle changes and activities that help prevent further injuries and improves overall well being and health. Often, primary care providers refer their patients to physical therapy Atlanta pain management at the very first sign of a problem, since it is a conservative approach to help manage health and pain related problems.
Are you wondering what makes this therapy such an important one? Physical therapy helps most people of different ages who battle with medical conditions, injuries, or illnesses that limit their ability to function or move. According to the APTA (American Physical Therapy Association), a physical therapist is a highly skilled, trained, licensed, and trained medical professional with ample experience in diagnosing various physical abnormalities, restoring mobility, promoting physical activity, physical function and more.
In a range of healthcare settings, you can find physical therapists, including private practices, outpatient offices, rehab centres, hospitals, home health, nursing homes, schools, fitness settings, occupational settings, research centres, and government agencies.
What to Expect
Keep in mind that a physical therapist can help you to take care in all phases, including initial diagnosis, healing, preventative recovery, and restorative stages. The physical therapist could be a standalone option or support you in other forms of treatments.
Kindly subscribe to our YouTube channel
Usually, some patients receive referrals to a physical therapist by their doctor, whereas others seek therapy for themselves. Regardless of what way a patient comes to a physical therapist, when you visit a specialist, such as Kroll Care experts, you can expect to:
- Receive clinical prognosis, clinical diagnosis, a proper plan of care and short or long-term goals
- Undergo physical evaluation and exam, including certain testing procedures, health history, evaluation of posture, muscle, joint and movement performance
- Receive some treatment and intervention all based on the therapist’s diagnosis and evaluation
- Often, patients train with physical therapists in various exercises they can perform in their home, in order to help them function in the best way
- Receive recommendations and self-management
Common Conditions Physical Therapy Tackles
A physical therapist can treat anybody suffering from a variety of health or medical conditions, depending on their speciality. Some of the conditions that people suffering can benefit from this type of treatment include:
- Relief for conditions like cardiopulmonary conditions such as cystic fibrosis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, as well as post-myocardial infarction
- Some conditions like trigger finger, and carpal tunnel syndrome like hand therapy
- Neurological conditions like spinal cord injuries, stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, traumatic brain injuries, and vestibular dysfunction
- Musculoskeletal dysfunction like rotator cuff tears, back pain, and TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint) disorders
- Some pediatric conditions like muscular dystrophy, developmental delays, and cerebral palsy
- Injuries related to sports like tennis elbow, shoulder pain, plantar fasciitis and concussion
- Other cases that could benefit from the condition include diabetic ulcers, wound care, and burns
The Benefits of Physical Therapy
The benefits of physical therapy all depend on the reasons why you opt for the procedure. However, some of the benefits of this therapy include:
- Avoiding surgery
- Reduced need for opioids through pain management
- Improved movement and mobility
- Recovery from paralysis or stroke
- Recovery from trauma or injury
- Improved balance
- Prevention from fall
- Management of various age-related health and medical problems
- Sports therapists could help athletes to maximize their strength through and enable better performance through strengthening parts of the body as well as using muscles in better ways
- Physical therapists or healthcare providers could advise all the individuals about benefits that are specific to medical and personal history and their treatment needs
Finding a Physical Therapist and the Types
Usually finding a suitable physical therapist may involve some factors, including acceptance, insurance, reasons for the treatment, speciality, as well as geographical location. Most insurance companies often list physical therapy locations. Other providers may keep a list of the therapists in an area and recommend you to them.
The basic types of physical therapy procedures include:
- Orthopedic physical therapy
- Neurological physical therapy
- Pulmonary and cardiovascular rehabilitation
- Geriatric physical therapy
- Pediatric physical therapy
- Vestibular physical therapy
- Wound care therapy
- Decongestive therapy
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation
In addition to physical manipulation, physical therapy may include:
- Electrical stimulation, which uses topical electrodes on the surface of the skin to increase and reduce functional capabilities
- Ultrasound, to help promote healing and blood flow by heating the tendons, tissues, and muscles
- Phonophoresis, using ultrasound to deliver some medications like topical steroids. This helps to decrease the inflammation presence
- Cold therapy, and moist heat
- Light therapy, where special lasers and light help to treat some medical conditions
Most physical therapists often recommend an appropriate treatment based on your condition, so you should take your time to discuss all the health problems you have.
Please share on Facebook or Twitter. It helps more people see it.