Cybercrime is going to be a global issue always as technology has become a core part of our daily lives. One truth is what we put on the internet, especially on social media, can actually be used as a weapon by a cybercriminal.
Below are some ways you can go by to protect yourself and your household from cybercriminals who may be using social media as an arena to scout for vulnerable people.
Ways to protect against cybercriminals
- Password-protect all features and apps on your mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) so that even when you lose it people still can’t access your data.
- Change your passwords regularly. And do not re-use old passwords.
- Do not post your home address on social media. Any other personal info should also be kept secret.
- Your location should be turned off unless you’re using it.
- Do not allow strangers to view personal info.
- Be careful of strangers you follow on social media
- Always remember, “Less is more”. The less you post about personal stuff the more protected you are.
The basic idea here is not to make yourself a target to unscrupulous people on the internet.