The African Prize for Engineering Innovation is an award scheme that acknowledges the work of Africans who are helping solve issues through engineering. It is a scheme established by the Royal Academy of Engineering and this year’s list includes 4 Ghanaian startups.
These Ghanaian startups/products are:
- GrainMate, from Sesi Technologies Ltd., headed by Isaac Sesi. This is a handheld device that helps grain farmers reduce post-harvest losses by making it easier to accurately measure grain moisture content before storage.
- BACE API, headed by Charlette N’Guessan. This system prevents financial and online identity fraud by using live facial recognition technology to verify identities.
- Lab and Library on Wheels (by Josephine Godwyll). Encouraging STEM teaching and learning via its mobile, solar-hybrid cart with e-learning resources and other equipment.
- EcoRide, (Bernice Dapaah). EcoRide makes bicycles from bamboo and recycled parts — mainly by women.
The other startups also shortlisted for the awards are:
- Aquaprotein — Kenya – an affordable protein supplement for animal feed, made from invasive water hyacinth
- CATHEL — Malawi – an affordable antibacterial soap made from agricultural waste and other plant-based extracts
- CIST Ethanol Fuel — Kenya – clean cooking ethanol made from invasive water hyacinth
- DryMac — South Africa – a containerised drying system that uses burning biomass instead of electricity to dry and preserve crops
- Eco Water Purifier — Uganda – a digital system that turns bones, cassava peelings, coconut shells and other waste into an activated carbon water filter
- Farmz2U — Nigeria – tech solutions that help farmers and families prevent food waste and enhance nutrition
- Garbage In Value Out (GIVO) — Nigeria – automates and digitises the collection, processing, and sale of recyclable materials
- PapsAI — Uganda – a low-cost digital microscope slide scanner and platform that diagnoses and manages cervical cancer in resource-constrained areas
- Remot — Uganda – a digital platform that connects to off-grid solar systems to allow users to manage and pay for them remotely
- Safi Organics — Kenya – a novel process that turns crop waste into a range of affordable organic fertilisers
- Solar Jiko — Kenya – a heat storage system that allows rural schools to cook food quickly and easily without firewood
- mals Mini-Grid — Kenya – a solar system that powers communal refrigeration storage spaces in rural Kenya