Facebook has been doing a lot of tweaking on its messaging app for some time now, focusing more on chats. The company, even at its developer conference last year, promised that it would bring dark mode to the Facebook Messenger app. And it is finally in.
But the funny thing here is, you don’t enable the dark mode via the settings menu like most other features. There is a trick you would need to do in order to activate the feature both on Android and iOS.
You would use an emoji trick, specifically a crescent moon emoji trick.
How to activate dark mode in Facebook Messenger
Note that this trick works for the Facebook Messenger app for Android as well as the iOS version.
- Just launch the Facebook Messenger app on your phone.
- Send a moon or crescent emoji to any of your friends.
- Now tap on the emoji repeatedly till you the crescent moons flying all over on the screen. (Like the animation captured in the screenshot below).
- As you do that, a message will appear on the screen. The message will indicate that you have unlocked the dark mode feature.
- Now you can enable the dark mode feature by tapping on Turn On In Settings in the pop up message.
- Alternatively, you choose not to use the pop up message to switch on dark mode. After the message appears, you can tap on your profile picture to go to the settings page. There, you can turn on the dark mode by using the toggle button.
This is really a nice way to activate the feature. To get the dark mode feature, you would need to update your Facebook Messenger app, both Android and iOS. But Facebook will eventually bring the button to be accessed straightaway from the settings page.