In Ghana, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration reserves the sole right to issue a Ghanaian Passport by the Citizenship Act 2002.
Three types of passports are issued in Ghana. And they include;
The Contemporary (Regular) type
This type of passport is issuable to all citizens and non-citizens, and the period of validity is ten years.
The Service type
The Service type also is given to officials who work for government institutions and make regular government assigned travels.
Kindly subscribe to our YouTube channel
The Diplomatic type
This is issued to Ghanaian diplomats; be it emissaries, envoys or high ranking officials well recognised far and beyond the borders, and their legal beneficiaries.
In the year 2017, the country launched the online application system due to the cumbersome nature of the manual process.
Before you can apply for a passport, you need these:
- Birth Certificate as a proof of citizenship
- Additional Identity Documents (Driver’s License, National Identity card)
- Proof of Profession
- Employed must produce an introductory letter from the employer.
- Self-employed must produce a business registration certificate.
- Students must provide the Student Identity Card.
- Informally employed and unemployed are exempted.
Here is how you can apply for the passport online
About the right of issue held by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration mentioned above; the online application can only be made by visiting their website.
- Visit passport.mfa.gov.gh and create an account.
- Verify account by inputting in a code that will be sent to your email and number.
- After verification, log into the newly created account.
- .Start the application by selecting the “Start New Application” tab
- Select the type of application (Standard or Expedited)
NB: Processing Fee depends on the preferred application type one chooses.
|APPLICATION TYPE||PROCESSING FEE|
|Expedited Application 48 Pages||GHS 200.00|
|Expedited Application 32 Pages||GHS 150.00|
|Standard Application 32 Pages||GHS 100.00|
|Standard Application 48 Pages||GHS 150.00|
- Proceed and issue payment of processing fee by selecting on “make payment”.
Step one – Create an account
Step two – Verification of account stage
Step 3 – Logging into account with details sent to mail/number provided
Step 4 – Page creation. Click on the “start application” tab to begin the process
Step 5 – Payment stage. Mode of payment includes online payment or buying a voucher card and keying in code
Step 6 – Inputting personal details and selection of application type. (Each with its price) and making payment
First application type and price
2nd application type and price
3rd application type and price
4th application type and price
- After payment, the required form for filling for a passport is sent to your account created (in number 1). Payments, however, are non-refundable.
- Fill all the details on the form.
- Append a signature on the declaration form.
- There’s an option to book a date of convenience where you can go to the Passport Application Centre for verification and biometric data collection.
- After a successful appointment, a date will be given when the passport will be ready for collection at the Passport Application Centre. There is also an option for delivery.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration has resumed operations at all its Passport Application Centres (PACs) across the country. Visitors are however required to comply with Covid-19 safety protocols.