Work-related illness, injury, or deaths can be a costly venture for all. A safe and healthy working environment is beneficial in more than one way.
Countless lives of workers are lost every year as a result of job-related illness or injury. Billions of dollars are paid out nationwide due to indirect or direct cases of work illnesses and injuries equal to those of cancer, according to statistics of the National Institute for Occupational health and safety. These are only financial issues. There’s no way of determining the value of quality of life losses as a result of injuries or illnesses.
The Impact On Workers
Work illness and injury can influence every aspect of life for employees and their families, and this includes:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of life
- Loss of financial wellbeing due to loss of income
- Stress-related issues on relationships
- Loss of employment or career
- Health-care fees beyond what is covered by insurance
Some workers may even experience low self-esteem, mental health issues, loss of independence, and numerous other health problems and broken relationships.
The Impact On Employers
When a business offers a safe and healthy workplace, it doesn’t only offer protection for workers against injury and illness; it can also reduce absenteeism and turnover, increase overall productivity and quality, decrease injury/illness costs and provide better employee morale. Enlisting the help of a professional to provide OSHA training Atlanta is not just the right thing to do it’s also good for business. An employer can save $4 to $6 for every dollar, which is spent on a health and safety program. Workplaces with adequate health and safety management plans reduce 20-40 percent of expenditure on injury and illness-related cases, according to OSHA.
For micro-enterprises, just one injury can result in financial disaster. The related costs to the business include:
- Loss of production
- Paying out wages for work not performed
- An increase workers’ compensation insurance premium
- Repairing damage to machinery or equipment
- Hiring and training of extra employees
- Deterioration in worker morale and product quality
- High turnover and loss of work time
The costs associated with job-related injuries, deaths, and illnesses are much higher than the cost of workers’ compensation premiums.
Safety Is Beneficial For Everyone
The costs associated with injury prevention is inconsequential compared to the cost of an injury. A working environment which is safe and healthy is a significant factor in attracting and keeping quality workers. Not only is it considered an asset to the community, but it also has a healthy bottom line and operates more efficiently. Such a business is a testament to a workplace that cares about the wellbeing of their employees to enjoy a healthy, safe, caring, and respectful work environment.
Advantages Of A Safe And Healthy Workplace:
- More satisfied and productive employees who:
- Manufacture better quality product and offer more exceptional service
- Return to work more promptly after sustaining injury or illness
- Feel loyal to the business
- Offer a better working environment
- Retains workers
- Establishes positive community relations