The directive is a government initiative issued through the Minister of Communications Ursula Owusu Ekuful.
Below are the modalities for the sim re-registration exercise
Table of Contents
About Ghana Card SIM Registration
The Ghana Card SIM registration exercise is to put a stop to the increasing incidents of fraud as well as monitor and track down persons who use their phones for criminal activities. The Ghana Card SIM registration is also to assist the government in knowing the accurate number of valid and exact SIMs on the networks and to enable the National Communications Authority to gain access to accurate data to regulate activities of the telecommunications sector as well as allow Ghana Card to build better demographics of the Ghana Card customer base. The Ghana Card SIM Registration will give comprehensive statistics about Ghana Card subscribers in Ghana and provide a resource for tracking fraudsters and criminals.
Ghana Card SIM Registration Date & Schedule
- The Ghana Card SIM registration exercise begins on October 1st, 2021 to March 31st, 2022
- The Ghana Card SIM re-registration exercise is to be conducted within six months
- Any sim card not registered at the end of this exercise will be blocked.
Ghana Card SIM Registration Requirements
- The minimum age for registration of Ghana Card SIM is 15 years to enable JHS pupils to register SIM to enhance their education.
- All new and old SIM subscribers will have to produce A Citizen Ghana card for Ghanaians or Non-Citizen Ghana Card for foreigners to acquire a new SIM card.
- For Businesses such as MTN SIM vendors to register sims in bulk, the Operators will be required to verify the Business Registration documents with the Registrar General’s Department and verify
- The identity of the Shareholder or the Director for Limited Liability Companies and Public Institutions, respectively.
How To Register SIM Card with Ghana Card
All Existing subscribers will register their Ghana Card SIMS through USSD short code *404#. Ghana Card SIM owners can also use the sim registration App on google play store or the apple store
Before we go into the procedures, see below the two stages of registration
- Self-virtual linking of sim card with Ghana card
- Biometric Capturing, which the MTN Offices do
Below is the step by step procedures to follow before going to the MTN office for biometric capturing
- Frist Dial the Ghana Card SIM Registration shortcode *404#
- Then Enter Your Ghana Card Pin (letters and figures without hyphens)
- Then Confirm Ghana Card Pin
- Afterwards, Enter Your Surname
- Then Enter Your First Name(s)
- Then Enter Date of Birth (Format: DDMMYYYY)
- Then Enter Select Sex (Male or Female)
- Afterwards, Confirm the Details entered and click Submit
- A unique code will be generated for you
- The last process is to visit any Ghana Card Office near you with the unique code to complete the Biometric registration process. You can also contact the Ghana Card customer care to complete this process.
Ghana Card SIM Registration Limits
- Ghana Card users can register a total number of 10 SIM Cards across all networks and Foreigners have a limit of 3 SIM Cards across all networks.
- Registered Ghana Card SIM Cards of Businesses will be linked to a Shareholder or Director of the Business and if a Business Ghana Card SIM Card is found to have been engaged in fraudulent activity, the Shareholder or Director will be held liable.
Ghana Card SIM Registration for Foreigners
- Foreigners visiting Ghana can acquire a Ghana Card SIM Card using their Passports however they can only use the SIM Card for 30 days after which it will be deactivated.
- Foreigners who want to use a Ghana Card SIM Card for more than 30 days will have to obtain the Non-Citizen Ghana Card to do so