Unlike Android phones, iPhones do not make it easy to use custom ringtones. You just can’t use some music on your phone for your ringtone, even though you may have bought it and it’s on your own phone. Perhaps, Apple is trying to protect the copyrights on that music but it’s just ringtones and you’re not using it for some profit-making activity.
But there is still a way around it. You can make custom ringtones for your iPhone. You can use the music you already have in your iTunes library to create your own ringtones. No need to pay some bucks for extra tones in the Tones Store.
The process of making custom ringtones on iPhones is a bit complex but it’s still worth it if you don’t want to pay for ringtones. And it’s free!
How to create a ringtone for your iPhone using iTunes
For the sake of this article, iTunes app on Windows was used but it’s the same process on Mac.
1. Start iTunes on your computer.
2. Pick the track you want to use for the ringtone. Ringtone length is 30 seconds, so determine the part of the song you want to use.
3. Right-click the song and click Song Info or Get Info, depending on the iTunes version.
4. Then hit the “Options” tab at the top of the dialog box.
5. Here, set the part of the track you want to use as the ringtone. Remember, the ringtone is only 30 seconds.
6. After setting the time, click OK.
7. Now make sure the original track is selected, then click the “File” menu.
8. Select “Convert” from the list of commands and “Create AAC version”.
9. A second version of the track should appear in the list. Drag the new version of the song (30-second-long version) to your desktop.
10. Now change the file’s extension (the track you just copied to the desktop) from “.m4a” to “.m4r”. So it will look like “my ringtone.m4r” instead of “my ringtone.m4a”.
We are now done with the first part. Next, we have to find a way to put the track on the iPhone and make it a ringtone.
Copy the ringtone to the phone
1. Connect your iPhone to the computer via a data cable.
2. Open iTunes and click the phone icon at the upper left, beside the drop-down menu.
3. Select “Summary” in the left pane.
4. Check the option to “Manually manage music and videos” in the Options section on the right.
5. Then click “Apply” at the bottom.
6. Click “Tones” under On My Device on the left side of the screen.
7. Pull the ringtone track on the desktop to the Tones folder in iTunes. Since your phone is already connected, the track will automatically copy to your iPhone.
Done with the second part. Now, let’s move to the third and last part.
How to set the custom ringtone
1. Open your iPhone’s Settings app.
2. Tap “Sounds” or “Sounds & Haptics”.
3. Now tap on “Ringtone”.
4. Your newly made ringtone track should appear in the list. Just tap it.
Phew! That was quite a task, especially for the first time. The next time you are doing it, it will feel like a piece of cake. Go ahead, make your friends also know how to make custom ringtones on their iPhones.