Are you worn out from Instagram or do you need to just take a break? Every now and then, it is advisable to take “social sabbaths” – a time to unplug from social media and get your thoughts and life together.
Maybe you are at that point where you need an Instagram break, here is how to deactivate Instagram account.
Instagram gives you the option to either temporarily or permanently delete your account.
It is one of the most popular social media apps known mainly for sharing pictures with loved ones. Being a large social media platform, fake news spread faster as well as cyberbullying through mean comments or internet trolls. Deactivating your Instagram account might not just be the “terrible” thing to do in life.
Table of Contents
How to temporarily deactivate your Instagram account
Maybe you need a few weeks or months away from Instagram, Instagram gives you the option to deactivate your account temporarily. Here is how to temporarily deactivate your Instagram account.
- Login to instagram.com from your browser or computer
- Click Edit profile from your profile
- Scroll down the page and click on Temporarily disable my account at the bottom right corner of the page.
4. Select an option from the drop-down menu next to Why are you disabling your account? and re-enter your password. Kindly note that the option to disable your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason and entered your password. (Source: IG Help Center)
5. Click on Temporarily Disable Account
To reactivate your account, you can log in back with the same username and password whenever you are ready to.
You can deactivate temporarily for as long as you like and everything will remain exactly how you left off.
Your account will disappear on the platform and it means that users will not be able to find and unfollow you so your followers remain intact.
How to deactivate Instagram account permanently
Once you make up your mind to permanently delete your Instagram account, it is important to note that you will lose all your data and you cannot sign up again with the same username.
Also, note that you cannot reactivate a deleted account unless you sign up again on the platform as a new user.
- Login to Instagram from your web browser; make sure you are logged into the account you want to delete.
- Go to the Delete Your Account Page from your browser.
- Confirm the account you want to delete and choose the reason for wanting to delete your account. The option to permanently delete your account will only show after you choose a reason for deletion.
- Click on delete
Due to the amount of data you have on Instagram, it takes a number of days for your account to be completely deleted.
Both processes require you to use your browser as at the time of writing, Instagram does not allow you to delete your account from within the mobile application.
Although Instagram is one of the most popular and pleasing social media platforms, just like some good things come to an end, sometimes a temporal disable or permanent deletion can be of help depending on what you seek to achieve.
We hope this guide on how to delete Instagram account has helped.