- Head to maps.google.com.
- Tap into the blue right-turn icon, seen close to “Search Google Maps”
- Type in your beginning and ending points.
- Tap “Options.”
- Make sure the box close to “Avoid Highways.” is ticked.
On the app,
- Launch the Google Maps app on your iOS or Android device.
- Choose the 3 stacked lines to open the menu (the location might vary depending on the type of device you own.)
- Click “Settings.”
- Choose “Navigation settings.”
- Swipe down to “Route options” and enable “Avoid highways”