The coronavirus outbreak is known to affect the old and those living with co-morbidities like heart and lung disease and diabetes. As at today, there is still no proper research on the connection between the virus and diabetes, however, anyone suffering from diabetes has to take special care of their health during this period and we can help:
1. Monitor your sugar levels: Obviously. It is compulsory to keep a working and dependable blood glucose monitor at home to check your blood sugar levels at all times. Your blood sugar levels must be maintained at 110 mg/dl when fasting and 160 mg/dl after meals. Maintaining diabetes will surely help your immune system to battle all kinds of viruses.
2. Keep a stock of your drugs: Even if essential services are not affected by the lockdown, it is still wise to keep a stock of your drugs to manage and control your diabetes. Anyone taking insulin must have a stock of their insulin at all times. It is just to be on the safe side.
Kindly subscribe to our YouTube channel
3. Do not stop working out: It is vital for diabetic patients to create time for some physical activity on a daily basis. It does not have to be something too stressful, minimal stretching and exercising will help you maintain ideal blood sugar levels. Walking, stretching or yoga for less than an hour every day is a wise move.
4. Stay away from high-calorie snacks: Diabetic parsons should do everything possible to avoid foods that are rich in either carbohydrates or salts. Go for vegetables and fruits like apples and oranges instead. Healthy snacks can also come in when you feel hungry between meals.
5. Don’t panic: This is advised mainly because stress and anxiety can contribute to increased blood sugar levels. Do not worry, this too shall pass.