The Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) is the main examination to qualify students for admission into secondary and vocational schools in Ghana and is written after three years of junior high school education.
BECE marks and grades are what separate academic performers from non-performers. This goes without saying, both the Ghana education system (GES) and Senior high school prospective students, look up to these exams for different reasons.
GES is primarily concerned with the quality of outcome, which is used as an indicator for the overall performance and progress of Ghana’s education system. The students, however, are more focused on their academic future. Therefore, the grading system used plays a significant role in determining the quality of BECE results.
Students who pass the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) qualify to join the vocational institutes (V.I), technical institutes (T.I), and senior high school but how does the WAEC Ghana BECE grading system work?
Subjects Candidates Take
- English Language
- Information Communication and Technology
- Social Studies
- Integrated science
- Basic Design and Technology
- Any Ghanaian language the school offers
WAEC Ghana Grading System For BECE
The evaluating system used by WAEC for Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) gives each candidate a range of scores which has been listed below:
Excellent – A1 75% – 100%
Very good – B2 70% – 74%
Good – B3 65%- 69%
Credit -C4 60% – 64%
Credit – C5 55% – 59%
Credit – C6 50% – 54%
Pass – D7 45% – 49%
Pass -E8 40% – 45%
Failure-F9 0% – 44%
The current WAEC grading system places much emphasis on Mathematics, English Language, and Science for a BECE candidate to get admission to any of the vocational institutes (V.I), technical institutes (T.I), and senior high schools.
The Ghana Education Service (GES) has rescheduled the date for the writing of the 2019 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) for School Candidates. The examination would be written from June 10 to 14, 2019 instead of the previously announced date of June 3 to 7.
How To Apply/check For The BECE-SHS Placement
2. Enter your 10-digits BECE index number. Add the last two digits of the year of examination eg. XXXXXXXXXX18 for 2019.
3. Enter the Card Serial Number found on the top of your Scratch card.
4. Enter the Personal Identification Number (PIN) on your Scratch card.
5. Click Submit and wait for the results window to come up.
6. Proceed to print your placement notice.
How To Check CSSPS Placement Via Mobile Phone
If for any reason whatsoever you cannot access a computer, you can access your results using your mobile phone SMS service.
Follow the steps below:
- Using your mobile phone, send your 10 digit index number via text message to the shortcode number: 1060.
- Example: If your index number is 1234567890, you will input it in your phone without spacing and send it to the shortcode 1060. The spacing of the index number will not give you the desired results.