Usually, the topic of artificial baby feeding is surrounded by constant arguments between parents, paediatricians, and baby nutrition experts. Infant formula is a real salvation for moms who, for certain reasons, cannot breastfeed their babies. An interesting fact of the past is that in the Middle Ages, noble ladies considered it unworthy to feed their babies and for this matter hired female breastfeeders, who had a lower status. As society evolved, this savage idea disappeared and milk formulas based on cow’s or goat’s milk were invented. Every year, the baby food industry develops and improves. And today, moms who are not nursing their children naturally, have a wide enough range and can buy a decent baby formula.
Let’s take a look at the major fears about artificial feeding and refute the feelings of anxiety and guilt of young moms who use baby formula.
- Breastfeeding provides a stronger bond between mom and baby. Psychologists confirm another statement: – what matters is not at all what the baby eats, but how often he is in his mother’s arms and feels his tender touch and embrace. Co-sleeping and carrying in the arms compensate a baby for the lack of attachment to the breast. To satisfy your baby’s quite natural sucking reflex, it is wise to use a pacifier. When you feed your baby from a bottle and give him maximum attention, you should not watch a TV series or read a movie with the news at the same time. Let this be your only private moment.
- Artificial feeding does not form the baby’s immune system. Of course, the formula does not have the antibodies that are present in the mother’s milk, but this is quite natural (antibodies are the body’s response to pathogens and disease). As for immunity in general, it is made under the influence of substances and micronutrients that come with food. All of these components are present in artificial mixtures. Also in matters of establishing immunity, hardening and hygiene are important aspects.
- Avid breastfeeding moms argue that there are not enough vitamins in dairy products for babies. Of course, it makes sense that artificial formula contains fewer nutrients than breast milk. After all, breast milk was created by nature, and milk formula was created by man. However, the composition of the quality organic formula is rich enough to ensure that your baby grows and develops healthily. It is known that the process of milk production in a woman’s body changes with the age and needs of the baby. That is why milk formula manufacturers pay so much attention to the composition of their products and always indicate the age for which the product is designed. For example, a formula marked “1” will contain less iron, proteins, and carbohydrates than a formula marked “3”.
- Artificial formulas inevitably cause constipation, colic, and digestive distress. Such a statement is based on changes like the baby’s stool, but it is quite normal and natural. Babies who consume breast milk also often experience problems with tummy troubles. And if there is still a problem with the stool of an artificial baby, it is most likely because the formula of the milk formula is not suitable for the baby. Among the arsenal of artificial baby foods, there is a large enough selection of therapeutic, lactic, and anti-colic formulas that can overcome the problems of small tummies.
- Well, the last myth says that babies who are formula-fed fall behind in overall development compared to those who were fed mom’s milk. Take for example a group of children in kindergarten, can you distinguish between them, who received any food. Of course not, each child develops according to his or her program. And for your baby to grow and develop, regardless of the form of nutrition, you need to put in a lot of effort and love. You need to sing your baby a lullaby, read books and nursery rhymes, develop fine motor skills, and much more.
So having considered all these myths, we can conclude. If you have not been able to maintain breastfeeding, you should choose a quality adapted milk formula and make every effort to make your baby’s life happy.