It’s a hearsay that most political parties spy on their opponents to know their activities in order to be on top of their game and also to increase their chances of winning. To them, cyber threat is a familiar word. There have been reported instances of malicious cyber activities in other countries during their elections. As citizens prepare to visit the polls in the 2020 general elections in Ghana, we have highlighted in this article some tips that can help you stay cybersafe.
COVID-19 has made cyber attacks more prevalent as more people now heavily rely on the internet. Cyber threat actors may use election-themed phishing baits to lure voters into downloading malicious software on their devices or divert them to spoofed websites. Such baits could take the form of:
- Invites to engage in web conferencing with political parties, or to participate in pre or post-rally polls, or surveys.
- Applications that may require voters to follow through with instructions to download malicious software, such as plugins, to complete the installation.
- Spoofed emails or messages that may look similar to those sent by the government or the political parties, and which may purport to provide information such as the latest news on political parties or updates on polling results.
READ ALSO: Here’s how to control internet use and prevent cyberbullying.
Cyber threat actors could also continue to leverage on COVID-themed lures or adapt quickly to create fresh baits based on the latest news and events of interest during this period. As a precautionary measure, members of the public and enterprises should be on heightened vigilance during this period.
Table of Contents
Cyber hygiene measures for members of the public
- Only use official sources; beware of websites masquerading as official websites.
- Only Download Apps from the Official Play Store (Android) and App Store (iOS).
- Be Vigilant about emails or texts asking for sensitive information or request financial payments.
- Use Anti-Virus, and Update your Software, Applications, and Browsers Promptly.
Enhanced cybersecurity posture for enterprises
- Heighten Vigilance by monitoring their ICT systems and networks for any unauthorised connections or unusual activities.
- Use Anti-Virus; Update your Systems, Software, and Applications Promptly.
- Encrypt all Data, and Keep an Offline Backup Control privileged access to authorised personnel.