Twitter is one of the most used Social Media platforms. With about 12 years in existence and over 330mil active users as at the last quarter of 2017 (according to statista), I can say that the Social Media network is a digital country on its own. I believe you are a citizen of this digital country. But I doubt if you know everything about it. What if I shared some interesting facts about twitter with you?
Interesting facts about Twitter
1. Jack Dorsey made the first ever tweet on 21st March 2006. Jack Dorsey is a co-founder and CEO of twitter.
just setting up my twttr
— jack (@jack) March 21, 2006
Like our videos and please subscribe to our YouTube channel
2. Have you noticed the spelling of twitter (twittr) in the tweet above? Don’t worry, it’s not a mistake. That was the name when it actually started.
3. The platform was almost called “friendstalker”. However, the team agreed that the name was a little “too creepy”. The platform could have also been dubbed “Twitch,” “Twitcher” and “Jitter.” Twitter was eventually settled on after one of the co-founders read the word’s definition aloud from a dictionary: “The light chirping sound made by certain birds; agitation or excitement; flutter.” And — chirp, chirp — history was made.
4. Turns out the “Larry bird” (twitters logo) is named after basketball legend Larry Bird, a famous former Boston Celtics forward. Biz Stone confirmed this fact after Celtics vice president of digital media Peter Stringer asked him about the rumored tidbit, fittingly on Twitter.
— Peter Stringer (@peterstringer) August 11, 2011
— Biz Stone (@biz) August 11, 2011
5. Twitter made “zero” dollar as revenue for the first 3 years. Never give up!
6. Twitter won’t allow you to follow 2000 people unless you have 2000 followers
7. Twitter co-founder Noah Glass got sacked from the company. Twitter co-founder Noah Glass, who originally came up with the company’s name, was famously fired from the startup. The San Francisco-based developer’s heart-breaking story of being “forgotten” and betrayed by his fellow founding team made headlines in 2011. Today, his Twitter bio simply reads: “I started this.”
I wish the twitter team the best of luck and trust that they will be successful in continuing to develop this important communication tool.
— noah glass (@noah) September 14, 2013
8. Unlike other major tech startups, Twitter was not hatched in a coffee shop or any other formal setting. It was hatched on a playground. Dorsey says he first shared his idea for the social network on a playground slide “like a geeked-out Moses on Mount Sinai.”
9. Twitter took 3 years, 2 months and 1 day the billionth tweet. Today, that same figure can be gotten within two days.
Please share on Facebook or Twitter. It helps more people see it.