If you have still not made your GHS 20 investment of purchasing the Bonanza card game is never too late to do so. You will not only be bringing a new fun activity home but also help improve the arithmetic skills of your children and yourself.
For those who missed out on my feature on the Bonanza card games last week, this will both give you an idea of what the game is about, and how you can play it with your family and friends.
Bonanza is a mental maths game that involves applying knowledge of basic arithmetic operations to solve for whole numbers. It helps in developing mental skill and fluency with numbers.
The objective of the game is for players to form Positive Whole Numbers (PWN) with the cards they are playing with.
It serves as a good mental workout for players due to its time limitation.
It also provides a practical experience for learning mathematics in a fun and relaxed atmosphere from an early age, in a manner that is not intimidating or daunting. This can be of great help for your children especially those who struggle with maths.
To enjoy playing this game, you need to know and understand the following Bonanza card game rules I will be sharing with you.
Once your buy a pack of BONANZA, it contains 63 cards and game rules. Items needed but not supplied are: calculator, pen/
pencil and paper.
What is in the box of Bonanza
The 63 cards are made-up of 58 cards with a number and arithmetic symbol (operator) on them and 5 cards with only a number on them. The cards with a number and arithmetic symbol (operator) on them consist of:
a. 18 cards with a number and the plus (+) symbol (operator);
b. 18 cards with a number and the minus (-) symbol (operator);
c. 11 cards with a number and the divide (÷) symbol (operator); and
d. 11 cards with a number and the multiplication (x) symbol (operator).
The 5 cards with a number and no symbol on them are numbered: 2 – 6.
How many people can play Bonanza
2 – 5 PLAYERS; ages 12 and above
How many game types exist in Bonanza
There are three (3) Game Types for BONANZA:
1. BONANZA FUNKY;
2. BONANZA STRICT; and
3. BONANZA CLASSIC.
* Other Game Type variations can be found on the “BONANZA COMMUNITY” pages on www.daﬀodilsgp.com/bonanza
Although there are slightly different rules for each, the main aim is to form positive whole numbers with mathematical computation.
Bonanza playing modes
There are two (2) Play Modes no matter the Game Type being played or Winner Rule being used. The two Play Modes are:
1. TURN-PLAY; and
1. TURN-PLAY: With Turn-Play, players take turns and place cards they have been dealt on the flat surface one player after the other. Therefore, with TURN-PLAY, players see each other’s cards as they are being laid on the flat surface. Players must lay their cards in a format that will enable them to win the Round. After each player has finished placing their cards, the arranged cards are calculated, and a winner is declared as per Game Type being played and Winner Rule being used.
2. STRAIGHT-SET: With Straight-Set, players simultaneously place all 8 cards in their possession on the table or flat surface at a-go. This is done only after they have first arranged the cards in their hands (or out of view of other players) in a format that will make them win the Round. As per GENERAL RULES (6) above, players have five (5) minutes to do this. After the arranged cards are put on the flat surface, each player’s cards are calculated, and a winner is declared as per Game Type being played and Winner Rule being used.
Some general rules to observe
Whether playing BONANZA FUNKY or BONANZA STRICT, the following general rules apply:
- Players must find a flat surface to play the game on.
- There are five (5) Rounds in a game. At the end of each Round the scores are recorded. At the end of the fifth Round, all the scores per player are totaled; and a winner is declared based on the Game Type being played and the Winner Rules being used.
- No matter what Game Type is being played, players must use all 8 cards in their possession to form a Positive Whole Number.
- A player forfeits his/her turn when he/she is unable to, or the cards in his/her possession do not allow him/her to form a Positive Whole Number.
- There are two WINNER RULES, and they are SUNRISE and SUNSET. Players must decide which Winner Rule they are playing before they start the game. With:
a. SUNRISE: The player with the highest Positive Whole Number is the winner for the Round being played. After all five (5) Rounds have been played, the player with the highest totaled Positive Whole Number is the overall winner. When playing Sunrise, the score recorded for a player who forfeits (see ‘C4’ above) during a Round of play is: Zero (0) points.
b. SUNSET: The player with the lowest Positive Whole Number is the winner for the Round being played. After all five (5) Rounds have been played, the player with the lowest totaled Positive Whole Number is the overall winner.
6. When playing STRAIGHT-SET, players have five (5) minutes maximum to lay their arranged cards on the flat surface for all to see.
7. Players are allowed to use the calculator. However, players must decide before the game starts what calculating format to use: whether Simple Math or BODMAS. The game suggests Simple Math.
How to start the game
a. First, Players must decide what Game Type (whether Bonanza Funky or Bonanza Strict) they are playing; and what Winner Rule (whether Sunrise or Sunset) they are using. Players must also decide whether they are using Simple Math or BODMAS when calculating.
Hope this will be able to help you get started with Bonanza card game.
Where to buy the Bonanza Card Game
You can buy from their office; call 0302 797 837 / 0302 797 838, or at the Game shopping center, Accra Mall.
For those who prefer to buy online click on the any of the links below”
- Through Jumia: www.jumia.com.gh/daffodil-bonanza-card-game-42384.html
- Through Zoobashop: www.zoobashop.com/bonanza-card-game.html
If you enjoyed this …
Kindly comment your views below and do follow Us on Twitter and Instagram @JBKlutse for more.
Please press share right below. It helps more people see it.
To Guest Post or Advertise on our website, kindly call 0245721815.